12/17/2012

Poached Eggs over Spinach

I have been on this huge poached eggs kick lately.  I had them at a brunch with some friends and someone at the table told me that she eats them all the time.  This got me thinking that I might like to try to poach some eggs at home and see how it goes.  It turns out that I love poached eggs!  They're good on so many things and, once again, great for a low carb diet.  This version over cooked spinach is quick and easy to make at work or at home.


Ingredients
1 tsp vinegar
2 C baby spinach
1 Tbsp olive oil 
1 tsp dry minced onions
2 eggs
1 slice salami
1/4 C shredded Parmesan
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
  1. In a small saucepan, heat water over medium high.  Water should come to a slow simmer, not a rolling boil.  
  2. Add vinegar to water.  
  3. Crack eggs into a small bowl, being careful not to break the yolks.  
  4. Dump eggs straight into hot water.  
  5. Eggs should cook in hot water for 3 minutes.  
  6. While eggs are cooking, add olive oil to a medium sized skillet and heat over medium.  
  7. Add spinach and dry minced onions to skillet and cook until spinach has cooked down and is a bright green color.  
  8. Remove spinach from skillet and place on plate.  
  9. Add salami to skillet and cook for about 30 seconds on each side.  Salami should be lightly toasted.  
  10. Remove salami from skillet and layer on top of spinach.  
  11. At this point eggs should be nearing 3 minutes.  Remove from hot water gently with a wooden spoon or spatula.  
  12. Layer poached eggs over top of salami.  
  13. Sprinkle Parmesan over top of poached eggs.  
  14. Season with salt and pepper.  
  15. Serve immediately.  Enjoy!
Notes
  • Poached eggs are not an exact science.  It took me a couple of tries to get the heat and timing just right on this recipe and I'm sure you will have the same experience.  I like my yolks pretty runny, but if you like yours firmer you can cook for a little bit longer.  Just keep adjusting the cooking time and temperature until you get a consistency that you like.  The big thing is to make sure that you can't see any clear egg whites when you remove the egg from the pot.  
  • Don't try to crack the eggs straight into the hot water.  It's very hard to drop them in gently enough when you do it this way.  When I add the eggs to the water I have the lip of the bowl almost in the water.  It's really more of a sliding motion than a pouring one.  

On my first day I thought it was so weird that this hot plate was in the
kitchen.  What office needs more than a toaster oven and a microwave?
Now I don't know how I ever lived without my awesome work lunches.  



































Dry minced onions are one of my secret weapons.  They are good in
lots of things.  I always keep some on hand to add a little extra flavor.  


















































You can see here that the water is not anywhere near a boil.  A good
simmer should have some little bubbles forming on the bottom but
nothing more than that.  




















No comments:

Post a Comment