4/16/2013

Sushi Night

There are only a few things that I miss from my old 'eat whatever you want and worry about it later' life.  Bagels with cream cheese.  Frozen margaritas.  Sour Patch Kids.  And sushi...

I have enjoyed all kids of sushi for many years, but my affinity grew into true love when I was living in Miami.    There are sushi restaurants on every corner there, and the fish is always fresh.  Of course, I still enjoy sashimi (fish with no rice) from time to time, but any sushi lover will tell you that it's not the same.

The awesome boyfriend came home very excited last week ordering me to get dressed because we were going out to dinner.  When we pulled up to our local hibachi and sushi restaurant, East Moon Asian Bistro, I thought that this was some sort of evil plot to torture me.  I was very pleasantly surprised when he directed me to the section of the sushi menu that featured rolls without rice.  

I know that sushi without rice is not technically called sushi, but let's not get bogged down with semantics.  It was still fish, layered lovingly next to vegetables, wrapped with other vegetables.  Hooray!


The awesome boyfriend insisted on ordering rolls with rice (that jerk) but all was well because I had my spicy shrimp, crab, and avocado wrapped in cucumber.  The shrimp did have some panko bread crumbs, which have about 3 carbs per Tablespoon, so this wasn't a completely carb free meal, but it was delicious and made me really happy.  I'll be coming back soon to sample the other rice-less rolls on the menu.  

We also ordered a chicken satay appetizer, with a sides or peanut sauce and chili sauce.  The peanut sauce was very sweet so I stayed away from it, but the chili sauce was vinegar-y and hot!  The chicken was perfectly seasoned so I didn't miss the peanut sauce too much.  


Between the chicken and the shrimp roll I left the restaurant the right amount of full, which was another perk.  Sometimes when I eat sushi I leave feeling over-full because of all the rice, and I did not miss that uncomfortable post-Japanese food hangover.  




No comments:

Post a Comment