2/26/2013

Veggies and Wine

It's been a tasty day.  For breakfast I had my usual 1 egg and 2 pieces of bacon.  Lunch was more arugula and Steak-umms over pita bread.  I was planning to serve leftovers from my taco bake for dinner but I had to run into the grocery store for some almond milk and I got distracted by these beautiful vegetables.


I picked up a butternut squash, a container of mushrooms, a bunch of asparagus, a pint of cherry tomatoes, and a handful of shallots.  I tossed them with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roasted them in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes.

While they were roasting, the awesome boyfriend and I were able to relax with a bottle of wine that we received as a Christmas gift.  I don't drink a lot of Malbecs and I am happy to report that I really enjoyed this one.  I did a little research online and it looks like a glass of Malbec has less than 5 carbs, so it's not a bad choice if you can limit yourself to one or two glasses.


After the veggies were done I pulled them from the oven and let them rest for a few minutes before serving.  I like mine straight off the baking sheet.  The awesome boyfriend likes to sprinkle his with Parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper.  I good way to tell if your veggies are done is by checking the mushrooms.  The'll shrink and dry during the cooking process.  If they have browned like these, you're good to go.


In the end I did end up pulling out the taco bake leftovers because according to the awesome boyfriend, "If it doesn't have meat it's just a snack."  I'm not sure about all that, but the taco bake was very tasty and calling our names.  To reheat the taco bake just cut off the portion you want and warm it in the microwave for a minute or so.  Easy week night dinners make me happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment