4/21/2012

Atkins Revolution Rolls

This is a variation on the original recipe for Revolution Rolls from the Atkins diet.  I'm still pretty perplexed about how these ingredients work together to create bread, but they're so good I'm not too worried about it.  When I baked them last night the whole house smelled like baking bread, and awesome boyfriend and I devoured them all between last night and this morning.  There are endless versions and varieties of these rolls, both sweet and savory.  I'll be adding updates as I get a chance to try some different things.  I hear these make great burger buns!

Ingredients
Pam (or any baking spray)
3 eggs
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
3 Tbsp ricotta cheese
1 packet Splenda

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  
  2. Separate eggs very carefully.  It's very important that none of the yolks get into the whites.  If you don't know how to separate eggs, you can check out the video from Good Housekeeping that I've included below.  
  3. Spray Pam onto a nonstick muffin pan.  
  4. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until egg whites are stiff and small peaks form.  If you're not sure if they are ready try to turn your bowl upside down.  If the egg whites slide out, keep beating.  When they are ready they will literally sit still in the bowl.  
  5. In another bowl beat egg yolks.  
  6. Add ricotta cheese and Splenda to egg yolks.  Mix well.  
  7. Add egg yolks mixture to egg whites and fold in with a rubber spatula.  Be gentle!  You should only mix for about a minute or less, otherwise the egg whites will start to break down.  
  8. With a large spoon, add the mixture one spoonful at a time to the muffin pan.  You're only making 6 rolls.  Just keep adding spoonfuls of the mixture to your six muffin cups until you run out. 
  9. Bake for 45 minutes to and hour.  Rolls should be toasted on top, but only a light brown. 
  10. Let rolls cool slightly before removing from pan.  If they stick, run a knife around the outside edge and they should pop right out. 

This is what your eggs whites will look like when they are ready.
I'm holding the bowl up sideways and they are not sliding.  













Rolls going into the oven.
(I didn't read the directions well enough.  You should only have six!)





I've read that if you want to make burger buns you can do this same recipe and just drop the egg mixture onto a baking sheet instead of a muffin pan.  The mixture will spread out while it bakes, kind of like cookies.  Ours stuck to the muffin pan a little bit, so I would highly recommend putting down some baking paper if you don't have a silicone baking sheet.   I've also read that you can add a scoop of protein powder for a more bread like texture.


Update


I made rolls again this morning without a muffin pan and they are awesome.  I just dropped them onto a silicone baking pan that was coated with butter to prevent sticking.  I doubled the recipe so I got 12 instead of 6.  I only cooked about 30 minutes because they were looking a little brown on the edges.  Also, I added a scoop of protein powder this time and it did help make a more bread like consistency.  We had sausage and cheese sandwiches for breakfast this morning, using the rolls of course, and they were yummy.

Rolls on baking sheet before going into the oven.  


















Ta Da!  Perfect for sausage and cheese sandwiches.
Can't wait to try them with burgers.  






















Update # 2
I tried these with some vanilla protein powder thinking I would get a sweeter roll and the results were not so good.  The rolls were sweeter, but they tasted like a chewy vanilla protein shake.  Also, I did not take out the Splenda to compensate and I probably should have.  The texture is much better with the protein powder, but I'll be sticking the unsweetened plain kind from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment