|Meatloaf in crock pot, ready to cook!|
1.5 lbs ground beef
1 packet dry onion soup mix
1/2 C reduced sugar ketchup
1/4 C Italian style bread crumbs
2 C shredded Cheddar
4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp brown sugar
1 packet Splenda
1 T mustard
- Combine beef, onion soup mix, 1/4 C ketchup, bread crumbs, egg, Cheddar, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Mix ingredients with hands until all are incorporated and you have a smooth consistency. Shape mixture into something like a giant meatball and then form into a loaf shape.
- Add loaf to crock pot and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Stir together remaining 1/4 C ketchup, brown sugar, Splenda, and mustard.
- Spoon mixture over top of meatloaf.
- Cook on low 1 more hour.
- Remove meatloaf from slow cooker and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Slice and serve. Enjoy!
- You can use whatever kind of ground beef makes you happy. I used ground round. Make sure to pick one that isn't too lean- at least 20% fat- or the ingredients will have trouble binding.
- If you are able to find ground beef with a higher fat content, you can add an extra egg yolk and skip the bread crumbs completely.
- If you're feeling industrious you can make your own bread crumbs from low carb tortillas. Just toast them in the oven and grind them down in a food processor.
- The ketchup is the real bad guy here because it is loaded with sugar. If you can't find reduced sugar ketchup at your grocery store I would skip it. You could sub in a low carb barbecue sauce or maybe mustard.
- Another way to cut carbs on this recipe is to only make half the sauce. The recipe makes a lot, and we probably would have been fine with a little bit less.