1 lb ground beef
1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Add ground beef, egg, cheese, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and ketchup to a large bowl.
- Mix ingredients with your hands until you have an even consistency throughout.
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat over medium. Resist the urge to turn the heat up beyond half way!
- While oil is warming, form beef mixture into small meatballs. (These were slightly smaller than a golf ball.)
- Once the oil is hot, add meatballs to skillet.
- Cook meatballs in skillet long enough to brown on one side, then turn and brown on the other side. This will only take a short time- maybe 30 seconds per side.
- Transfer meatballs to a baking sheet and move to oven to finish cooking.
- Meatballs will need to cook in oven 5-10 minutes. After 5 minutes, open one up and check for doneness. If there is no more visible pink meat, remove and serve.
- Serve with warm marinara for dipping if desired. This recipe makes about 4 servings.
- The bread crumbs are the most carb heavy thing in this recipe. 2 Tbsp of bread crumbs has about 8-9 carbs, so if you split this into 4 servings you will get around 2 carbs worth of bread crumbs. If that's still too much, cut bread crumbs in half or skip completely. Your meatballs will be a little bit more fragile and you might want to brown longer in the pan to avoid falling apart.
- I drained my meatballs on a paper towel before putting in oven. I had to do a few batches because I couldn't turn them quick enough if they were all in the same pan.
- This recipe is a crowd favorite. You can double or triple the recipe and keep meatballs warm in a low temperature oven or crock pot. Serve with little rolls and marinara for meatball sandwiches.
|I defrosted some frozen ground beef in the microwave and it started to|
cook a little on the edges. I recommend using fresh so that you can
avoid this problem.
|All ingredients evenly mixed.|
|You won't need much oil. Meatballs will release liquid while they cook.|
|I love these silicone baking sheets. Nothing sticks to them. They do|
stain easily, so buy dark colors.